Any special about this bread recipe? hmmm I realize this particular recipe uses egg yolk instead of whole egg. The bread dough does look more yellowish compare to those make with whole eggs :) I like to make little bread rolls as I like to play around with the shaping! hehehe so with this small batch of dough and learnt 2 ways of shaping the buns! The flower heart shape is a breeze for me. But the spiral roll bun gave me some problem :P Think I put in too much filling causing the dough skin to burst when I tried to roll out the wrapped dough >.< Quite messy when I try to twist and coil it up. Luckily only did this design for 3 buns and one of them turn out a heart shape instead! hahaha....
How to shape into a spiral round bun...
Sweet Potato Paste
Ingredient (approx 150gm)
- 125gm sweet potato, peel and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 25gm unsalted butter
- Steam sweet potato for 15mins until soften. Add in sugar and butter and mash till smooth.
- Cover the surface with cling wrap and chill till use.
Sweet Potato Buns
Ingredient (5 buns)
- 155gm bread flour
- 25gm sugar
- 2 gm salt
- 2gm instant yeast
- 20gm egg yolk
- 40gm milk
- 50gm Tang Zhong
- 25gm unsalted butter
- 150gm sweet potato paste
- some almond nibs for garnish
Method (hand knead)
- Mix all ingredients, except butter, combine to a rough dough, knead for 2mins. Add in soften butter and knead for 10mins till a smooth and elastic dough is formed. Cover and proof for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- Punch down proofed dough and knead lightly. Divide into 60gm each and roll in rounds. Cover and rest for 15mins.
- Roll out each dough and wrap with sweet potato fillings. Shape the dough into your favourite shape (refer to pics above). Place on baking sheet and proof for another 1 hour, covered.
- Brush surface with egg wash and sprinkle some almond nibs.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 20mins until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from '超简单面包精选'
Very beautifully bake. I like to come over your blog for bread ideas.. U are very talented in making bread dough!
Angeline..thanks for ur kind words! But am still 1/2 bucket water hehehe ;)
I accidentally used all purpose flour instead of bread flour. Will it still turn out fine? :(
Angela C. plain flour is fine as long as u knead the dough long enough. Bread flour has higher gluten which the bread will be more chewy than using normal plain flour.
Post a Comment