Recently a few videos of making sushi cake keep popping on my Facebook timeline. It indeed looks very visually appealing and prompted me to google over this sushi cake! After a few references on the internet (video ref here
), I hereby present my pretty sushi cake! Hehehe no special occasion just wanna make a beautiful 'cake' to uplift the mood ;)
It is really straight forward to make this sushi cake. No complicated steps, try making one to impress your family! :D
Steps in layering the sushi cake. Sliced avocado and salmon mayonnaise are used in between the layerings.
aonori and sakura denbu to create the coloured rice
(makes a 7" round sushi cake)
- 2 cups Japanese short grain rice
- 2" kombu
Homemade Sushi Vinegar
- 6 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Filling for sushi cake
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 cup salmon mayonnaise*
- 1 tbsp aonori
- 1 tbsp sakura denbu
* 200gm fresh salmon, seasoned with black pepper and salt. Seal in baking paper, bake @200 deg cel for 15 mins until cook through. Flaked the salmon and mix in 3 heaps tbsp mayonnaise. Chilled in fridge until ready to be used.
- shredded tamago*
- smoked salmon, shaped into rosettes
- poached prawns
- Japanese okra
* Beat 2 eggs with 1 tbsp mirin. Sieve mixture. Heat and lightly grease a non-stick pan. Ladle in some egg mixture and cook into thin omelette. Repeat till egg mixture are used up. Stack up thin omelette and thinly slice into stripes. Chilled in fridge until ready to be used.
- Wash the rice several times till water runs clear. Add in 2 cups water and kombu. Steam over boiling water for 20 mins until cook through. (you can use a rice cooker if u preferred)
- Meanwhile combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Simmer till sugar is well dissolved. Cool down before using.
- After rice is cooked, transfer it into a mixing bowl. Drizzle in sushi vinegar and stir into the rice until all vinegar is well incorporated. Cover with damp cloth and leave to cool down completely.
- Divide sushi rice into 3 portions, approx. 300gm each. Leave one portion plain.
- Mix in aonori into one portion of the rice to make a green layer rice.
- Mix in sakura denbu into one portion of the rice to make a pink layer rice.
- Prepare a 7" removable base cake pan to assemble the sushi cake. Spread the plain rice onto the base and evenly press down using the back of a spoon. Layer in sliced avocado.
- Spread the green layer rice over and evenly press down using the back of a spoon. Spread over salmon mayonnaise.
- Lastly spread in pink layer rice and press down evenly. Cling wrap and chill in fridge for 1 hour to firm up the whole cake.
- Unmould the sushi cake and place on a serving plate. Use your creativity and decorate as desired. Slice & serve!
Sushi cake before decorating
Amazingly beautiful after placing the toppings all over the surface!
Another closer look ;)
Luckily the sushi cake is compact enough and it did not disintegrate after slicing ;)