As I do not want to waste the balanced sponge dough, decided to make another bread loaf. I always adore anything with green tea powder :D I've picked a recipe from Alex Goh's recipe book and substitute some of the bread flour with the green tea powder. This dough is much more sticky to handle than the wholemeal loaf I've did yesterday! But after the first proofing, the dough turns out to be very smooth and non-sticky, very easy to handle...phew! Though only 5gm of green tea powder is used, but can still manage to taste the matcha flavour with every bite :D My kids simply adore this bread also, very soft & light texture.
oops, imbalance in shape hehehe...but like the even browned crust
baked the loaf last night, this morning then sliced it, so soft & fluffy :D
Overnight Sponge Dough ( 隔夜中种)Ingredient (makes approx 160gm, can be used to make 2 loafs bread)
- 100gm bread flour
- 60gm water
- 1/4 tsp yeast
Matcha Raisin LoafIngredient
- Mix the yeast with 20gm of water until well mixed. Add in the remaining ingredients and knead to form a dough (I knead for 5mins). Let it proof for 30mins. Seal in ziplog bag and chill in fridge overnight or up to 48 hours.
- 245gm bread flour
- 5gm green tea powder
- 40gm sugar
- 3 gm salt
- 10gm milk powder
- 4 gm instant yeast
- 75gm overnight sponge dough
- 30gm cold egg
- 120gm cold water
- 40gm butter, softened
- 50gm raisins
- Combine bread flour, green tea powder, sugar, salt, milk powder & yeast until well blended. Mix in sponge dough, egg & cold water and knead for 5mins into a rough dough.
- Add in butter and knead until smooth and elastic, takes about 15 mins. (is quite sticky at this stage, I just gather them into a ball and proof it) Cling wrap and proof for 50mins.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and mould it round and rest for another 10mins. (at this stage the dough becomes very smooth and non-sticky! very easy to handle)
- Roll each dough into a rectangular shape abt 8cm x 20cm. Sprinkle 25gm raisins over each dough and roll up like a swiss roll. Place the dough into a well greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Cover and proof for another 60mins.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35mins. Tent the top with a foil if it browns too fast. Remove from oven and unmould the bread immediately, cool completely on rack.