A bowl of warm hearty creamy soup with homemade garlic foccacia
This is a healthy creamy soup without added cream or butter. Bacon is added as garnish and helped to boost up the flavour of this creamy vegetable soup. Omit the bacon and replaced the chicken stock with vegetable stock, it becomes a great vegetarian dish to enjoy!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 800ml chicken stock
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 300gm broccoli florets
- 400gm sweet corn kernels
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 250ml fresh milk
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a deep pot, cook bacon over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8-10mins. Remove bacon.
- Increase heat to medium, add onion and fry till soften about 6mins.
- Add flour, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add stock and potato, bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 mins until potato is tender.
- Add broccoli, corn, rosemary and milk. Cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 8-10mins.
- Season with salt & pepper. Ladle chowder into individual serving bowl and topped with bacon. Serve with crusty bread of your choice.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)