Expecting more hot and dry weather for the coming weeks! School reopening tomorrow and I will be back in duty of fetching my two kiddos back and fro from school under this terrible heat! Besides cooking more dessert like green bean soup, barley water etc....I've also make some cooling agar agar for the kids to beat the heat. Just simple ingredients used, no colorings or coconut milk added. Blue colour is extract from dried bluepea flowers whereas the green is natural pandan juice. The marble effect is by adding an egg in each batch of cooking. Drink more water and stay hydrated everyone!
- 10 blades fresh pandan leaves, snip short
- 1000ml water
- 1 packet agar agar powder
- 150gm fine sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Blend pandan leaves with 500ml water and sieve to get first batch of pandan liquid. Process again with another 500ml water to get second batch of the liquid.
- Combine all pandan liquid into a pot with agar agar powder and sugar. (alternative : add eggs at this point of time to achieve different effect)
- Bring to boil, lower heat and stirring frequently and simmer till sugar is well dissolved.
- Slowly drizzle in beaten egg and stirring in clockwise at the same time.
- Turn off heat and pour the agar agar mixture into small jelly mould or pan.
- Cool completely and chill in fridge till serve.
* Note : For blue liquid, simmer 1/4 cup dried bluepea flower with 1000ml water for 5 mins to extract the blue liquid. Remove flowers before adding in agar agar powder and sugar. Cook as per above instructions.