Tantalising nonya assam fish made from scratch, no prefaced sauce used! Spicy and sourish gravy, you could not resist having more serving of rice!
Fresh herbs and spices
- 400gm mackerel
- 40gm tamarind pulp + 400ml water
- 5 okra, trimmed
- 1 brinjal, sliced
- 1 large tomato
- 2 pcs kaffir lime leaf
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
Spice paste (blend till fine)
- 10gm dried chilli, seeds removed and soak
- 100gm shallots
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 candle nut
- 10gm galangal
- 2 lemongrass (4" from the base)
- 5gm toasted dried shrimp paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Rub tamarind pulp in water and strain the water, discard the seeds. Heat 5 tbsp oil in wok and add spice paste. Fry over medium low heat until the paste is glossy and fragrant.
- Add in tamarind water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 mins. Add in seasoning and adjust taste if desired.
- Put in fish, okra, brinjal, tomato and kaffir lime leaf. Simmer on low heat for 3 mins. Gently flip the fish and simmer for another 2 min. Remove from heat and dish up. Serve immediately.
Post a Comment