Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thai Three-Flavoured Sauce (Soas Sam Rot)

I always love food that is spicy and sour and yes I am slowly introducing some spicy food to my both kids :D My 7 year old boy can take medium heat pretty well like Malay mee goreng. Japanese curry with medium heat is also no problem for their palate :D  Hopefully soon they will be abled to accept the same level of spiciness as me so that I can whip up spicy food as often as I like! hehehe

This Thai 3-flavoured sauce supposed to be spicy, sour and sweet at the same time.  Looks very tantalizing indeed! But the final result is not as spicy and sour as I thought, is more on the sweet side >.< Guess I should reserve some chilli seeds and reduce the sugar amount for my next attempt :D But overall it is still a very flavourful sauce which is great in tossing over vermicelli salad and over deep fried chicken/fish fillet.




Chopped chilli, cilantro stems, shallots & garlic

Chopped palm sugar, brown sugar, tamarind paste & fish sauce



Recipe source : Shesimmers.com
Ingredient
  • 40gm red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (retained some seeds for extra spiciness)
  • 40gm peeled garlic, finely chopped
  • 40gm peeled shallots, finely chopped
  • 20gm finely chopped cilantro stems
  • 120gm palm sugar, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 50gm brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup fish sauce
  • 1/3 cup thick tamarind liquid
  • 2 tbsp corn oil

Method
  1. Heat up oil in a medium saucepan, fry the chilli, garlic, shallots and cilantro stems over medium heat until fragrant.
  2. Add in the remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer till sauce is reduced and thickens, approx 1.5 cups.
  3. Store the cooled sauce in a cleaned glass jar and refrigerate or freeze.

Ways to use the sauce…..

Deep Fried Fish Fillet                                               Thai Vermicelli Salad




I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) - November Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for the clear instructions, i cannot wait to try this.

kitchen flavours said...

A fabulous sauce! I love spicy food too! Both the dishes looks really delicious!

lena said...

hi peng, sounds like a great sauce especially in that thai vermicelli salad! and btw that plate of vermicelli salad looks really good!

Chris said...

This is an amazing sauce!! Totally love it! I only had rice and some vegt for dinner, and this sauce......wow!!! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails