Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lontong Sayur Lodeh/Mix Vegetable in Coconut Broth



I love most Malay food like nasi lemak, mee rebus, mee siam, mee soto and the list goes on...but Lontong is the last choice that comes into my mind >.< I rarely order this dish as I do not like the cold compressed rice, moreover I cannot find a decent one around my vicinity. But I could not resist my homecooked Sayur Lodeh without the nasi impit of course! hehehe...


It is such a fuss free dish to prepare! Just blend the spices and fry till fragrant then add in all the vegetable. In less than 30 mins a pot of wholesome curry vegetable is ready! Love drenching the gravy with my plate of hot rice....slurp!







Recipe source : My Kitchen Snippets
Ingredients
  • 2 pieces firm tofu, sliced and pan-fry till golden brown
  • 4 pieces large tofu puff, cut into triangle
  • 20 french bean, cut into 1" length
  • 450gm cabbage, roughly cut
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 1 cube chicken stock cube
  • 200ml coconut milk
  • 2 cups water
  • sugar & salt to taste
Spices - blend into paste
  • 2 tbsp dried shrimps, softened
  • 6 red chilli, deseeded
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1" ginger
  • 2 stalk lemongrass, removed outer skin and sliced
  • 4 candlenuts, softened
  • 1 tbsp turmeric powder

Method
  1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Saute blended spices until fragrant. Add water and stock cube, bring to boil.
  2. Add in french beans, cabbage, carrots and tofu. Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft.
  3. Add in coconut milk. Add in salt & sugar to taste. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
  4. Serve immediately with plain rice or nasi impit (pressed rice) 




I'm submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest KL Selangor Month hosted by Shannon of Just as Delish

8 comments:

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Peng, this is so sedap!

kitchen flavours said...

Wow, looks so delicious! I love eating lontong with nasi himpit and sambal belacan! Yum!

mui mui said...

Hi Peng,
This is a lovely dish.
Can eat extra Nasi with this Lontong.

mui

Anonymous said...

Even though I live in Norway and my mum is no longer with me, I can make this dish as good as I remember her making it when I was younger! Thank yoy for sharing a great recipe! :)

Grateful S'porean overseas

Trinity said...

I love this dish! Thanks for posting & for the great pictures:)

Mindy said...

Looks good! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Going to try it!

Mdm. Lim said...

Hi, thank you for sharing the recipe.
In the lontong blend spices there are 4 candlenuts, may i know how to softened them? by soaking them in water?
Thank you
Mdm.Lim

Peng said...

Mdm Lim...yes it will soften in hot water.

Related Posts with Thumbnails