The kids commented : " What soup is this? Very yummy leh!" Really no fishy smell at all!
A bowl of hearty soup to warm up our tummies ^0^
Beware!! I dreaded the aftermath frying process....hahaha but is a must to achieve a milky soup base!
My kids love Chinese cabbage, therefore I added this to sweeten the soup.
Pan fry the ginger slices till golden, add in Chinese cabbage and fry till wilted. Place fried salmon fish head/bones over and top with hot boiling water and bring to rolling boil for 10mins. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for about 20mins.
- 1 salmon fish head, halves
- 300gm salmon fish bones + 2 stripes salmon belly
- 3 slices ginger
- 500gm Chinese cabbage, cut into big chunks
- 6 dried shiitake mushroom, soften
- 1 tbsp white peppercorn, crushed and placed in muslin bag
- 2L hot boiling water
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tube tofu, sliced
- thumb size rock sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese wine
- 3 tbsp calamansi juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- spring onion for garnishing
- Rinse salmon fish head and bone cleanly. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Sprinkle some salt evenly over. Heat a little oil in a pan. Pan fry the fish head and bones, in batches, until golden brown on both side. Drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep casserole. Fry ginger till fragrant.
- Add in shredded Chinese cabbage and fry till wilted. Add in pan-fried fish head and bones. Cover up with lid and fry for 5 min till fish bones are heated through.
- Add in hot boiling water. Add in mushroom and peppercorns. Boil over high heat for 10mins.
- Add in tofu and carrots and cook over medium low for another 10 mins.
- Remove any scums if necessary during the boiling process.
- Add in rock sugar, fish sauce, wine and calamansi juice and stir to mix. Add in salt to taste. Cook for another 10mins. Add more salt if desired. Turn off heat. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.