After my successful attempt on chocolate hurricane cake roll, I've more confident to bake swiss roll unlike before. ^0^ But I still feel jittering during the drawing process as I afraid that I would mess out the two layers. This time round I'm more adventurous in trying out using natural colouring for the cake and filling. I'm really pleased with the outlook of this hurricane cake roll!
Ingredient (9"x9" pan)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 25ml rice bran oil
- 30ml fresh milk
- 35gm cake flour
- 2 egg whites
- 30gm fine sugar
Blue Pea Batter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 15ml rice bran oil
- 10ml fresh milk
- 15ml concentrated blue pea liquid *
- 25gm cake flour
- 1 egg white
- 15gm fine sugar
* boil 6gm dried blue pea flower with 100ml water for 1min. Steep till the liquid cool down. Strain the liquid and discard the flower. Balanced blue pea liquid can be used in cooking rice or make into blue pea drink which is also very popular now.
- Whisk egg yolk with vanilla, oil and milk till well combined. Sift in cake flour and mix till a smooth batter is formed.
- In a clean dry bowl, beat egg whites till foamy. Add in sugar and beat till firm peaked formed. Fold the meringue into the yolk batter in three additions. Repeat the same steps for the blue pea batter.
- Spread vanilla batter onto lined cake pan evenly. Gently spread the bluepea batter on top of the vanilla batter. Using your index finger, draw horizontal lines from left to right from one side of the pan to the other side. Repeat drawing vertical line from top to bottom. Tap the pan lightly on work top to remove excess air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 20-25 mins. Cool in pan for 5 mins. Place a clean baking paper on a baking sheet, flip the sheet cake over. Remove the base lining. Gently roll up like a swiss roll. Leave to cool completely before frosting.
- 400gm butternut pumpkin, cubed
- 100gm condensed milk
- 200gm coconut milk
- 5 blades pandan leaves, knotted
- pinch of salt
- Steam cubed pumpkin until soft. Place steamed pumpkin, condensed milk and coconut milk into food blender. Blend till smooth.
- Pour the mixture onto a non stick pan. Add in salt and pandan leaves. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for 30 mins until jam thickens.
- Cool completely before storing in a sterilised jar.