Who knows that agar agar making can be so challenging!? I've actually attempted 3 trials before I succeeded in making this gula melaka agar agar @.@ The jelly actually separated into 2 even layers on its own after cooling down. The first two attempts I've used too thick coconut milk (different brands) resulting a thin agar agar layer forming or it did not separate at all! So frustrating but the taste still equally yummylicious :D
I was too lazy to sieve the gula melaka mixture therefore the sediments were rather obvious :P Moreover I actually bought a wrong agar agar powder! hahaha I wrongly grabbed a pack of orange colour one. Only realised it after I pour it into the pot....so silly >.< Luckily the colour blended so well into the gula melaka mixture, that's why my agar agar had a deeper tone. So don't be alarmed if your agar agar turned out lighter than mine :D
Recipe ref : Baking's Corner
- 12gm agar agar powder
- 750ml water
- 200gm gula melaka (palm sugar)
- 2 blade pandan leaves, knotted
- 200ml coconut milk* + 2 tbsp water + 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut palm sugar into small pieces.
- Put sugar, water and pandan leaves into a pot and bring to boil. Cook over low heat till sugar is well melted. Sieve to remove any sediments.
- Add agar agar powder into the gula melaka mixture and bring to boil for 5 mins.
- Add in coconut milk and stir to mix evenly. Cook over medium heat till mixture comes back to a slight boil. Do not over boil. Remove from fire immediately.
- Pour the mixture into a 7" square pan or individual jelly mould. Leave to cool and set in room temperature. The jelly will separate into 2 layers as it cool. Chill well before serving!