An angel cake is basically a sponge cake which uses egg whites which beaten till stiff peak, just like a chiffon cake. I used red dragon fruit puree in the cake batter and why is the cake not pink?? As I already knew that the pink colour pigment will not maintain after the baking process, thus I added a tsp of red yeast rice powder to the batter, hoping that the cake will at least has some reddish colour tone instead of a brownish cake! hehehe so am more curious with the outcome of the appearance rather than its taste! ^.* The results? A orangey red angel cake with slight tinge of sweetness from the dragon fruit.
ooohhhh so pink!! but after baking the tone is completely different!
- 2 egg whites
- 50gm sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 30gm corn oil
- 60gm red dragon fruit puree
- 75gm cake flour
- 1/2 tsp double action baking powder
- 1 tsp red yeast rice powder (optional)
- Using a electric whisk, beat egg whites, salt & cream of tartar until fluffy.
- Add in sugar gradually and beat till soft peak form.
- Beat in corn oil and fruit puree until well blended.
- Sift in flour, baking powder and red yeast rice powder. Fold till combined.
- Pour batter into a well greased and floured 7" round tube mould. Steam over preheated steamer on medium heat for 30mins. Cool completely before unmoulding.
Where you bought your red yeast rice powder? I am from singapore. Tks
Kium...I got it from Chinese medical hall, is in seeds form, I grounded it into powder
Post a Comment