I've done a few steamed cakes before and so far quite satisfied with the results :D Unlike steamed huat kueh, this steamed cake does not taste like 'kueh' at all! The mixing method is the same as like baking a normal butter cake, just that instead of baking it you steamed the cake that's all. I find that steamed cake usually taste lighter and less oilier compared to bake version.
Recipe adapted from 'Magic Steamed Cake' by Alex Goh
- 3 eggs
- 100gm sugar
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 125gm milk
- 80gm unsalted butter
- 220gm flour
- 1 tbsp double action baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Dissolve cheddar cheese, milk & butter over double boiler. Cool down slightly.
- With a electric whisk, beat eggs and sugar until thick & fluffy.
- Whisk in cheese mixture until well blended.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and fold till combined.
- Pour batter into a lined 8" round pan. Steam over preheated steamer on medium heat for 30mins. Cool down in pan for 10 mins before unmoulding. Cool completely on wire rack. Best serve within 3 days. Optional : At the last 5 mins of the steaming process, sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese over the top and continue the steaming.