A lovely savoury loaf packed with cheese, ham & mixed herbs!
- 260gm bread flour
- 2 tsp italian mixed herbs
- 40gm sugar
- 4gm salt
- 5gm instant yeast
- 30gm beaten eggs
- 70gm fresh milk
- 70gm water roux dough 汤种
- 20gm unsalted butter
- 50gm grated cheddar cheese
- 80gm ham, diced
- eggs for glazing
- extra cheese & dried parsley for topping
Method (hand knead)
- Combine flour, herbs, sugar, salt, yeast in a mixing bowl. Stir in water roux dough and mix roughly.
- Add in eggs and milk and knead into a rough dough for about 5 mins.
- Add in soften butter and knead till dough is smooth and elastic, about 10mins.
- Cover with a damp cloth and proof for 60 mins until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and knead lightly to remove excess gas. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and roll up like a swiss roll, cover and rest for 10mins.
- Roll out the dough again into a 20cm x 30cm rectangular size. Sprinkle cheese and ham evenly over and roll up the shortest length, seal the edge tightly. Place the dough in a loaf pan and proof for another 60mins or until the dough reaches 80% of the pan.
- Glaze the dough with beaten egg and make a slit in the middle of the dough and sprinkle extra cheese and dried parsley over. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40 mins until golden brown. (tent the surface with a foil at the last 15mins or so to prevent over browning.)
expected gaps inside the loaf because of the layers of fillings, but at least no major tunnels :D