Friday, April 19, 2013

Sweet Potato Chiffon

This is my another attempt of baking chiffon in a round pan rather than the usual tube pan ;) Pureed purple sweet potato is used in this recipe but why it did not turn out purplish? :P When I mixed the puree to form a batter it actually turns out greyish! yeeks! hahaha...I remembered a blog post by Wendy on her blueberry lemon chiffon cake  whereby she used lemon juice to adjust the colour pigmentation as certain natural colour like in fruits or vegetable will dispersed during the baking process :) Yes amazingly when I added teaspoon of lemon juice into the batter, the greyish tone just disappear! 


If you look carefully at the picture below, you will see that the top is slightly damp >.<" Ahhhh never ever rush to bake when short of time hahaha...As I was rushing out to fetch my girl, I baked the chiffon for 40mins instead of the usual 45mins :P But overall the cake taste nice as commented by my hubby. 




Ingredient
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 40ml cooking oil
  • 110g mashed sweet potato
  • 100ml unsweetened soy milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 60gm sugar
  • 100gm cake flour
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 80gm sugar
  • 100gm diced purple sweet potato, steamed
  • 3 tsp lemon juice

Method
  1. Blend mashed sweet potato with milk till smooth.
  2. Combine egg yolks, oil, sweet potato mixture, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Fold in sifted flour until batter forms. Stir in 2 tsp lemon juice to adjust the colour pigment.
  3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar, beating at high speed until frothy and stiff peak forms.
  4. Gently fold beaten egg white foam into egg yolk batter until blended.
  5. Coat diced sweet potato with 1 tsp lemon juice. Toss lightly with a tsp of flour. Fold into batter.
  6. Pour batter into ungreased 8" loosebased round pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 40-45 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven, invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding.


5 comments:

kimmy said...

Hi Peng, This chiffon looks tall and didn't shrink. I've tried it once the last time I saw your post. I'm inspired to bake another now.

Baking Scientist said...

I love sweet potato! :)
Your cake looks yummy :D

kitchen flavours said...

Your chiffon cake looks perfect! Been awhile since I last made any chiffon cake!

LeAnn said...

Do we need to steam the sweet potato first then mashed it? Or mashed when it is raw?

Peng said...

LeAnn....you need to steam till soften before mashing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails