No more procrastinating after seeing Kelly's & Vivian's Ayam Percik! The gravy is so flavourful and super addicting! Great with a huge bowl of warm white rice :) As I do not want to intake too much carbohydrates, moreover this dish is extremely rich and sinful, I serve the grilled chicken on a bed of smooth & creamy Mashed Cauliflower 'Mashed Potato'! ^.^
- 2 chicken thighs
- 200ml coconut milk
- 3 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp potato starch mixed with water
Spice paste : Blend till fine
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized ginger
- 3 shallots
- 4 dried chilli, soaked & drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- Marinate chicken thighs with spice paste for at least 1/2 hours.
- Transfer everything into a pot or pan and pour half the coconut milk over it. Add in cardamon, cloves and lemongrass and cook over medium heat until chicken is partly cooked, for about 15mins. Season with tamarind paste, salt & sugar halfway through.
- Take the chicken out from the pot, reserving the coconut milk mixture. Place the chicken on a baking tray and grill for 10mins.
- Meanwhile, discard the cardamom and cloves from the gravy. Add the remaining coconut milk and the starch water and simmer until thick. Adjust taste if necessary.
- Coat the chicken with some of the coconut sauce and continue to grill for another 5 mins.
- Serve with rice and ladle more gravy over the chicken.
I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets...