Not exactly 7 rainbow shades but still pleasing to the eyes :) but quite tedious to divide the batter into portions...4 colours = 4 mixing bowl = more washing up to do! hahaha...After moulding the cake, I used a serrated knife to shave off the outer skin of the chiffon to reveal the rainbow layer. As I added strawberry paste instead of red colouring in the pink layer, the cake has a slight trace of strawberry flavour :)
- 6 eggs, separate
- 130gm sugar
- 4 tbsp corn oil
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 110gm cake flour
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- red (i used 1/4 tsp strawberry paste) , green, blue, yellow food colouring
- Beat egg yolk & 50gm sugar until smooth. Stir in corn oil, milk & vanilla essence.
- Sift in cake flour and mix to form batter.
- Divide into 4 portions, approx. 90gm each. Add in colours into individual portion.
- In a clean & dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites & cream of tartar until foamy. Add in balance sugar gradually and beat on high speed till stiff peak formed.
- Divide egg white foam into 4 portions, approx. 75gm each. Gently fold into individual coloured batter.
- Pour in each batter in sequence into a 9" ungreased tube pan. Tap the pan on the table top each time before adding the next coloured batter. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35mins.
- Remove from oven and immediately invert the tube pan on table top. Cool completely before unmoulding.
- 225gm icing sugar
- 45ml hot water
- food coloring (optional)
- Sift sugar into a bowl, gradually stir in water.
- Stir until white and smooth, colour with a few drops of coloring.
- Use immediately to cover the top of the cake.
So nice! Reminds me of those rainbow bread I used to eat with ice cream as a little girl. Actually, I think some of those ice cream kiosks still offer it. Slurp!
Thanks for sharing :)
So pretty! What a great idea.
Wow, very pretty chiffon cake! If you didn't remove the crust, it will surprise anyone who cuts out the cake. :)
wow,at the first outer layer,honestly it looks dull but as you shave off the outer layer of the rainbow chiffon cake i was really surprised.it's very nice to the eyes especially for kids.i really love your idea.
thanks for sharing it. :)
Gosh, this looks fabulous. Reward is truly gratifying when you see the nice colours of the cake! Well done!
so pretty! And lovely texture! =)
Very nice...! Your rainbow cake looks so pretty!
ya... tell me about it... the washing of 4 bowls. :D :D
My rainbow cuppies had 6 colours... 6 bowls of batter to colour and then wash up. :D :D
All the layers rised nicely! So pretty! :)
TL...hahaha. Dun think I will make the 6 colours rainbow cupcakes loz if not will ganna BANNED in baking wahahaha..I done this rainbow chiffon ah lao already 'not happy' liao >o<, 'can u dun feed colourings to ur kids' he commented....
Peng, hahahaha. If ah lao so sensitive about the colouring, then better not do the rainbow cuppies. I find that once in a while is ok lah, not often. :P
Peng, the cake is so pretty!
Post a Comment