Time to spring cleaning my little fridge! Guess what I've found, a little packets of walnut, almonds, cashew nuts, cranberries, dried apricots here and there, 2 small packets unopened mixed dried fruits, a small block of white chocolate, a large pack of chocolate chips and the list goes on hahahaha....not a little fridge after all >.<
I found this fruit and nut bar recipe which fully utilised some of my ingredients!! Consider this quite a healthy snack as no butter is needed! After slicing to bars, I further cut them up into small squares for easier small servings anytime of the day :D
all fruits and nuts well coated with flour mixture....
whisk egg till frothy and pale and mix in...
evenly pressed down into pan and ready to bake!
Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking
- 45gm plain flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50gm light brown sugar
- 145gm nuts, chopped (I used mixture of walnuts and almonds)
- 65gm dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cup prunes, chopped
- 165gm dried mixed fruits (I used some apricots and a package of dried mixed fruits)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
Note : I soaked all the chopped dried fruits with a tbsp of brandy overnight.
- Line a 8" square pan with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in brown sugar, nuts and mixed fruits. Make sure that all the fruits and nuts have been well coated with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla until light coloured and thick. Add the egg mixture to the fruit and nut mixture until all coated with the batter. Spread into the pan and pressed down to even it out.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 40mins until golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan and lift the bars from the pan by the edge of the baking paper. Cut into squares.