Oh so sweet and pretty when I've shaped them into little rose buds!! Is been quite some time I've made steamed buns :) This recipe uses only 4 ingredients without added sugar and shortening, therefore I'm worry that they will turn out like stone and taste bland. Luckily the end results is not too bad, slightly sweet taste, most likely from the purple sweet potato and texture is soft when served immediately after steaming :)
- 250gm hong kong flour, 水仙面粉
- 200gm steamed purple sweet potato
- 6-8 tbsp warm water (may need more tbsp if dough is too stiff)
- 3gm instant yeast
- Mash sweet potato while is still warm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in yeast water into flour.
- Add in mashed sweet potato and knead till a smooth and pliable dough is formed. (depending on the moisture of the sweet potato, adjust amount of water by adding more tbsp one at a time)
- Cover with a damp cloth and proof for 1 hour until double in bulk.
- Knead lightly and divide dough into 80gm each, you will get 6 portions of dough. Extra dough to be roll into 6 small flower buds.
- Cut one portion of the dough into 5 pieces and roll into 10cm rounds. Overlay the 5 rounds and place a flower bud at one end (see pic above). Roll it up and cut into halves. Place cut side down on a paper liner. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Cover and proof for another 30mins.
- Steam over preheated steamer on high heat for 12mins. Best serve warm.