Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bake-Along #38 - Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Finally managed to rush out this cake in the morning before sending my girl to school! This cream cheese pound weighed approx. 1,242gm! hehehe yes I weighed it as I am curious how heavy is this huge loaf of pound cake >.<  When I unmould the cake the first impression I got is that it looks like a loaf of bread 'cos of its overall light brown crust :)

Though the title of the cake indicated that it is baked in a cold oven, but my convection oven does not function without prior preheating. So I went ahead with my usual baking function. The cake still rises well and brown evenly though not extremely golden brown. Only one thing am not happy is the appearance of the slices. Why is  it so poker face? >.< Mostly likely I created too much air bubbles when I beat in the flour mixture. Other than this the texture is moist and smooth with a subtle taste of ginger in every bite. After a bite of the cake, my hubby asked me what do I add inside the cake? pepper? hahaha....







Recipe source : Cake Keeper by Lauren Chatman
Ingredient
375gm cake flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
225gm unsalted butter
250gm cream cheese
150gm sugar
6 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla paste
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp lime juice

Method
  1. Combine butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  2. Add in eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, ginger & lime juice.
  3. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt over in batches, beating on low speed on each addition.
  4. Scrape batter into lined pan and place the cake in the cold oven. Turn the oven to 160 deg cel and bake for 60mins or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Note : I bake the cake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 1 hour and 15 mins)
  5. Cool the cake in pan for 15mins, then invert onto rack to cool completely.








6 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Peng,
I see that the cake bakes very nice too in a preheated oven. I like the gingery taste, very nice! Air holes in the cake will not affect the taste. I have read somewhere that to avoid lots of air bubbles in the cake, while pouring the batter into the cake pan, pour it into one corner of the pan and let the batter spread and fill the cake pan, after that, knock the cake pan gently against the table or kitchen counter to lessen the air bubbles. I sometimes do the "knocking" method. Hope this helps!
Thank you for baking along with us!

Peng said...

Kitchen flavors...yes I did knock the pan maybe not hard enough hahaha

Unknown said...

I baked mine in small mould and it seems the air bubbles not so obvious. Anyway I did the 'knocking' to get even surface of batter. I like this pound cake :)

lena said...

hey, i also knocked and tapped the pan just before it went to the oven..anyway, there were still a few holes throughout the cake. Like what i did too, my cake also rises very well in a preheated oven.. so i know it wasnt that bad if it's baked in a preheated oven. Thanks for baking again with us!now busy making CNY cookies?

Peng said...

Lena...phew just done with my gal BD cake...will start cny baking next week ;)

Zoe said...

Hi Peng,

I'm guessing that you must be like Jasline having the tendency to pre-heat the oven when you are going to bake this cake and eventually decided to do so... I remember Lena said that there is no much difference for her when she used pre-heated or cold oven :D

Zoe

Related Posts with Thumbnails