Can you believe the above bread rolls can be done within 45 mins? No need to wait for the usual 3-4 hours for the dough to proof! Amazingly fast and simple and the texture is soft enough if you are not particular with it :) I read a similar recipe posted by Diana but I'm using a recipe by Sassy's Kitchen from Facebook :) Both recipes not much difference, only the flour and liquid used varies slightly, try it out and see which one works well for you :)
Let's see how is it done within 45 mins? 10 mins to reactivate the yeast, 5 mins kneading the dough, 10 mins resting, shape into rolls/wrapped in filling within 5 mins if you fast enough?, then rest for another 10 mins, bake in oven 15 mins...total 45 mins!
bubbling yeast after 10mins
rather sticky dough
Grease hands and continue to knead till smooth and rest for 10 mins
Divide into equal portions and rest for 10 mins. Wrap in filling at this stage or leave it plain
Glaze with egg wash and ready to send to oven
you can bake it as plain rolls or wrapped the dough with your desired fillings!
Ingredient (12 rolls)
- 440gm plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 250ml warm water (divide into 2 portions)
- beaten egg for glazing
- In a bowl, combine sugar and instant yeast in 150ml warm water, stir well. Leave aside for about 10 mins to allow it to foam.
- Add flour, salt, egg and oil into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in yeast mixture. Use a dough scrapper to mix in the flour with the yeast mixture to make into a rough dough.
- Add in remaining water gradually (need not use all) and lightly knead for about 5 mins till a smooth dough is formed. Dough will be slightly sticky. Lightly grease a clean bowl and place in the dough. Cover lightly and rest for 10 mins.
- Lightly grease your both hands. Punch down the dough and knead lightly. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Wrap each dough with filling (or leave it plain) and seal the edge tightly. Place the bun, seams side down, on a lined baking sheet. Rest in a warm area for another 10mins.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 200 deg cel. Glaze the bun with beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
Baked Char Siew Bun (homemade char siew filling )
Hot Dog & Pork Floss Bun
Cheesy Otah Bun