Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Shiromiso & Kokuto Chiffon


I admit I loved baking/eating chiffon cakes more than any other bakes. Luckily I've 2 wonderful kids to share my bakes or else my waistline would have suffered hahaha....But alas this unusual taste chiffon incorporated with white miso and dark sugar did not appeal to them...white miso in chiffon?! Won't it taste weird? Actually it tasted rather pleasant! The saltiness is rather mild with a slight sweet aftertaste in mouth.


This time round I did not manage to unmould the cake properly resulting some ugly patches. Therefore I garnished the cake with some shredded seaweed and toasted white sesame seeds. Voila! Totally Japanese flavour chiffon cake! :D



















Ingredient
  • 40gm egg yolks (2 eggs)
  • 50gm Kokuto sugar (or replace with natural molasses sugar)
  • 40ml corn oil
  • 100ml water
  • 80gm cake flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 40gm white miso
  • 160gm cold egg whites (approx 4 eggs)
  • 30gm castor sugar

Method
  1. Combine sugar with water and bring to boil. Stir till sugar is well dissolved. Remove from heat and cool down.
  2. Beat yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in oil and miso paste and stir well to combine.
  3. Sift in flour and salt and mix till smooth batter formed.
  4. In a clean, dry bowl, beat cold egg whites on high speed till bubbly. Beat in sugar gradually until stiffed peak formed.
  5. Scoop 1/3 of the beaten whites into the miso batter. Mix well.
  6. Pour the batter into the balanced whites and gently fold till well combine.
  7. Pour the mixture into an ungreased tube pan and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins.
  8. Remove pan from oven and invert onto wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding.


I'm linking this post to  Bake Along #64 : Chiffon Cakes jointly hosted by Joyce of  Kitchen Flavours, Zoe of  Bake for Happy Kids and Lena of Frozen Wings


This post is linked to the event Cook Your Books #14 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours


6 comments:

Zoe said...

Hi Peng,

I love savoury cakes but my husband and son don't... ai ya! If I bake this, I can have the whole cake all by myself... Nice in a way :p

Zoe

PH said...

Peng, this is such an unusual flavour for a chiffon cake!

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Peng, nice cake, this chiffon cake with a touch of Japanese flavour ... I wonder spreading some pork or chicken floss workable for Singapore flavour?

Jozelyn Ng said...

Hi, Peng...this chiffon cake seems "savoury" to me...

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Peng,
This is such an interesting flavour! I can imagine the taste of saltiness from the seaweed with the sweetness of the cake. Wish I could have a slice to try!
Thanks for sharing another lovely chiffon cake!

lena said...

you know, shiromiso and kokuto sounds like 2 japanese cartoon characters..if you nvr mentioned chiffon cake in your title, i would have thought you're making some character cakes just by reading it! i'm curious abt the taste of a savoury chiffon cake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails