Puto (poo-toh) is a famous traditional steamed rice cake in Filipino cuisine. It can be served as a breakfast with coffee/tea or a light snack. Rice flour or plain flour is used and top with cheese or salted egg yolk. Instead of using rice flour/plain flour, I've found recipe using Bisquick mix! Since I've a packet in my pantry therefore I tried this bisquick version :) Small and fluffy texture and it remains soft the next day! Cute and colourful little steamed cakes which is really appealing to the kids :)
Ingredients (8 cupcakes)
- 150gm bisquick
- 80gm white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice cheddar cheese - divide into 8 portions
- food colourings of your choice
- Whisk bisquick powder and sugar together.
- Beat eggs lightly.
- Add eggs and milk into flour mixture. Stir well till no lumps are visible.
- Divide batter into 3 portions and add in your choice of food colourings.
- Fill lined muffin cups with 3/4 full of the batter.
- Steam over preheated steamer on medium heat for 15 mins. Turn off heat.
- Place cheddar cheese on top of each cakes. Cover the steamer and let the residue heat slightly melt the cheese topping.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be stored in air-tight container till next day, microwave for 20 secs to warm up if desired.