Fish & Chips is my kids favourite dish of all....but I think they are more attracted to the fries (+ mayonnaise) more than the fish hahaha....This Jamie Oliver's fish & chips recipe is real good! I couldn't resist stealing a bite on the fish while frying the batches of chips ^0^ But I still prefer grilled fish as this deep frying fish and chips really required quite an amount of oil.
Making of beer batter....yes with added beer! The batter is so thick and creamy just like mayonnaise :D
Slicing the potatoes into chips, the ribbed cutter finally comes into good use :D
- 225gm white fish fillets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 225gm plain flour
- 285ml cold white beer
- 3 heap tsp baking powder
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into chips
- Pat dry the fish fillets. Season the fillets with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Whisk the flour, beer and baking powder together until smooth and lump free.
- Heat corn oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dust each fish fillet with a little flour, then dip into the batter and allow any excess to drip off. Holding one end, lower the fish into the hot oil one by one (depending how large is your pan) or cook it individually one at a time. Cook on medium heat for 5 mins until both sides is golden and crisp. Remove the fish and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, parboil the sliced potatoes in salted boiling water for about 5 mins until softened but still retaining their shape. Drain well in a colander. When all the moisture has disappeared, fry them in the hot oil that the fish were cooked in until golden and crisp.
- While the chips are frying, place the fried fish on a baking tray and put them in the oven for few mins at 180 deg cel to finish cooking. This way the fish will stay crisp while frying the chips.
- Drain the chips on kitchen paper, season with salt and served with the fried fish.
Crisp golden crust and moist meat
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)
I love Jamie Oliver's recipes! The fish and chips look restaurant-standard, so delicious! Where do you get the ribbed cutter from? Feel like getting one myself!
may i know the brand of the white fish fillet u using n where can i purchase,,thanks for sharing,,
Jasline...u can get the cutter from chinese hardware shop
Maya...try supermarket frozen section, lots of varieties of white fish fillet, halibut, sutchi fillet, tilapia, depends on which u prefer :D
I love the chips!
once heard that my lecturer said, the western people eat with vinegar (sprinkle over the fish and chip, i wonder how it taste like )
Geez, Peng! You have brought "Jamie Oliver" to your home! Your kids are so lucky to have you cooking for them :D
Post a Comment