Never thought tomato sauce or ketchup is so easy to make! It is very flavourful, tangy and sweet to taste :D Not much a hassle on the process except maybe on the sieving part :D Initially I uses a smaller hole siever and had a problem trying to separate the pulp. Luckily I have another siever which has a slightly wider hole and the process becomes easier.
After sieving through, this is the amount of pulp left, less than 1/2 a cup.
a bowl of smooth tomato ketchup after sieving :D
Ingredient (approx 700ml)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 thumb size fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 800gm ripen tomatoes, chopped
- 100gm light brown sugar
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan, add onion, ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander seeds and fry for 10 mins.
- Add in tomatoes and rest of seasoning and bring to boil. Cook on medium low heat for 30mins until mixture is thickened and sticky, stirring occasionally.
- Cool mixture. Process in a food blender until smooth. Sieve the mixture (use a medium hole siever if not you will have a hard time trying to separate the paste and pulp) and bring to boil again. Turn off heat and spoon into sterilized bottle immediately. Seal and keep in room temperature for up to 6 month. Chill in fridge upon opening, for up to a month.