Extremely deliciously steamed ribs, can't help topping up more rice and slurping down with the gravy :D :D
Recipe adapted from SmokyWok
- 500gm spareribs
- 1 whole garlic bulb, skin removed
- 8 shallots, skin removed
- 6cm ginger
- 3 chilli padi
- 2 water plums
- 1 tbsp Szechuan chilli bean paste
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced at an angle, for garnish
- 1 large red chilli, sliced for garnish
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cornstarch for marinating the spareribs
- Firstly, rinse the spareribs and pat dry. Add about 2 tsps of cornstarch and marinate. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by blending the garlic, shallots, ginger, water plums, bean paste and chilli padi in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed. DO NOT ADD WATER.
- Heat up a wok or a saucepan. Add about 2 tbsps of cooking oil. Once hot, turn heat to medium and add in the ingredients above. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add in the plum sauce, sugar and salt. Do a taste test and add more sugar or salt if needed. Once you are satisfied with the flavours in the sauce, remove from heat.
- Pour over the spareribs and allow to marinate for at least 30mins. Add in 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the spareribs and mix well.
- Steam over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes or until cooked. Garnish with sliced green onions and sliced red chilli peppers if desired. Serve hot.