I was browsing through a recipe book and came across this fruity cake made of fresh raspberry and fresh figs. I never try fresh figs before! hahaha I only uses dried figs for brewing soups or just as snacks. Therefore I reminded myself to get hold of some fresh figs when they are in season :D Yes you don't always see fresh figs in the supermarket. Love the combination of these two fruits, a good balance of sweet and sourish taste in this fruity cake.
baking the cake in a 6" round pan
Recipe ref : 'Cupcakes' by Carol Pastor
- 140gm fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 fresh figs
- 225gm plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120gm castor sguar
- 85gm butter, mealted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 285ml buttermilk
- zest from 1 small orange
- Toss raspberries with 1 tbsp sugar and set aside. Slice the figs into eighths.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar.
- Combine butter, egg, buttermilk and zest and mix well.
- Pour the liquid into the flour mixture and fold lightly. Do not overmix.
- Add in half of the fruits and fold lightly.
- Pour the batter into a lined 6" cake pan. Place the remaining fruits over the top and press in lightly.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.