This is a Taiwan version of sweet & sour pork compared to the sweet vinaigrette pork ribs I've posted yesterday. This version takes some effort to prepare as the sweet & sour sauce is made from scratch! I must say the process is all worthwhile as it tasted really refreshing compare to the usual commercial instant sauce! Give it a try if you are looking for a healthier and fruity version of sweet & sour sauce!
Making of sweet & sour sauce using fruits and haw flakes
Homemade Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 200gm red plum, very ripe, deseeded and cut into small pieces
- 100gm honey cherry tomato, cut into small pieces
- 50gm haw flakes, minced
- 1.5 tbsp sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp white vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- pinch of salt
- Blend the plums and tomato until smooth. Strain thoroughly to get rid of the skin and seeds.
- Place the strained mixture into a small saucepan and cook over low heat.
- Add in minced haw flakes and seasoning.
- Cook until sugar and haw flakes are dissolved. Adjust taste according to your liking by adding more sugar or vinegar.
- Sauce to be kept in fridge up to 3 days.
Preparation of the actual dish, mixture of colourful vegetables & fruits and fried pork fillet
Sweet & Sour Pork
- 250gm pork shoulder, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tsp chinese wine
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- dash of pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50gm tapioca starch
- Vegetable mix (all cut into cubes) : 1 red onion, 1/2 cucumber, 1 tomato, 1/2 slice tomato
- 4 tbsp homemade sweet & sour sauce
- Marinate the pork pieces and chill in fridge for at least 30mins.
- Coat the marinated pork with egg then tapioca starch. Set aside for 5 mins till coating sets.
- Heat up oil in a pot over medium low heat. Deep fry the pork for a few mins until slightly browned, drain and set aside. Repeat till all pieces are fried.
- Turn heat to high, and deep fry the pork pieces the 2nd time until they turned golden brown. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- In a frying pan, heat up oil over medium heat. Add onion and fry till translucent. Add in the rest of the vegetable and fry quickly. Toss in the sauce.
- Turn heat to high and add the pork pieces and toss quickly to coat the sauce. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Oh yes today is the 7th day of Chinese Lunar Year also known as 人日
Stir-fry 7-Vegetables with Fish Fillet