This is a fuss free way of 'baking' a whole chicken in a slow cooker. I'm rather impressed with the result. Though not able to achieve the crisp and brown skin like baking in a oven, the texture is real good! The meat is so moist and tender (fallen bone stage) that I could not 'lift' off the whole chicken from the slow cooker. I did not marinate the chicken overnight yet it tasted flavourful enough. Thumbs up!
Recipe source : The Little Kitchen
- 1 large chicken, clean thoroughly and trimmed away excess fats
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp italian mixed herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- Pat dry the chicken and rub the spice mixture all over including the cavity and under the skin covering the breast. Sprinkle chopped garlic all over the chicken and inside the cavity.
- Place all vegetables into the crockpot. Put the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover it, and turn it on to high heat. Not necessary to add any liquid.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Turn to low heat and cook for another 1 hour, or until the chicken is falling off the bone.