This is the best steamed mantou I've ever made! Very soft and fluffy and nutritious too with added superbrain food chia seeds and wholemeal flour :) Only my little girl does not fancy steamed buns, starting to get picky with food nowadays >.< Luckily my boy loves it as he eaten 1 whole mantou spreaded with his favourite kaya :D
Sliced dough and placed in steamer
After proofing for 40mins.... After steaming bloomed even bigger! >o<
Recipe modified from Frozen Wings
- 250gm pau flour, Hong Kong Flour
- 80gm organic wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp double action baking powder
- 3gm instant yeast
- 30gm sugar
- 200gm milk
- 10gm corn oil
- 4 tbsp organic chia seeds for garnishing
- Combine flour, sugar, yeast and sugar and mix together with a scraper.
- Combine milk and oil together. Pour in 1/2 of the liquid into the flour mixture and mix into a rough dough.
- Add in liquid gradually and knead for 10mins until dough is smooth and pliable.
- Cover and rest dough for 5 mins.
- Sprinkle chia seeds over a clean working surface.
- Roll out the dough over the seeds into a rectangular shape. Roll up dough like a swiss roll and seal the edge tightly.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Place each dough on a greaseproof paper (I lined the steamer with banana leaves) and proof for 40mins until double in size.
- Fill steamer with water and bring to boil. Steam the proof buns for 20-25mins. Open the lid of the steamer a little to let the steam escape. Serve warm or room temperature.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Baker #31 - Bao Ho-Chiak (May 2013) hosted by Miss B of Everyone Eats Well in Flanders.