After yesterday savoury turnovers, lets try some sweet turnovers today! I've some strawberries in the chiller, therefore decided make some strawberry turnovers instead of the usual apples one :) Puff pastry again? NO! I've no guts to hands-on puff pastry, so I used a shortbread pastry dough recipe hehehe...Joyce of Kitchen Flavours also uses a shortbread pastry dough for her turnovers , but I did not refer to her recipe. I used another shortbread pastry dough which made up with an egg. This shortbread pastry dough is not easy to work with either! Generous in flouring the work surface and the dough helps a lot and speed too! By the time I work with the 5th turnovers the pastry has softened, do not want to waste time chilling the dough again, I just added more flour and roll it out :P
Anyway the title of this recipe is RUSTIC strawberry turnovers, so nevermind of its appearance hahaha....oh goodness these turnovers are really fantastic! ^.* The sweetness of the fillings is just right and the pastry is so flaky, thin & buttery! I've savored 2 of the turnovers, and trying to stop myself for having more if not dear son will not have any snack to bring to school tomorrow!!
P.S : oh I still have another 1/2 portion of the pastry dough in chiller, maybe I will try out apple fillings next! ^.^
this is how it looks before baking...
roll out slightly, wrapped & chilled...
floured work top generously, rolled out & cut out pastry...
wrapped with filling, glazed and sprinkle with sugar, ready to go into oven!
Recipe source : pb&jargon.com
Shortbread Pastry Dough
Ingredient (enough for 10 turnovers)
- 240gm plain flour
- 200gm unsalted butter, chilled & cut into 1" pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
Strawberries Fillings : combine all ingredients together (makes 5 turnovers)
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp demarara sugar
- Combine flour, sugar & salt together. Toss in cubed butter and rub into flour with fingertips till breadcrumbs like formed. Add in milk & egg and gather together till a dough is formed. Not necessary to knead.
- Divide pastry into half, approx 250gm each. Pat each portion into 1" thick and wrap in plastic, chill for at least 30min until firm enough to be rolled out.
- Floured a work surface generously. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the pastry (dust pastry with some flour also). Cut the dough into 5 rounds, each about 4.5" in diameter. With the help of a scraper, transfer the cut pastry onto a lined baking sheet.
- Put 5-6 slices of strawberries on one half of each pastry. Carefully fold the other side of the dough over the berries to make a half moon. Press down the edges of the dough with a fork.
- Repeat process with the remaining pastry dough and strawberries. Chill for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg cel. Brush the turnovers with some milk and sprinkle some demararer sugar. Bake for 25mins until golden brown. Cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
can't wait to savour it!
is real good! thin, buttery & flaky!!
I'm submitting this post to Bake Along event hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, Lena of Frozen Wings & Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids