Finally Lunar New Year is coming to the end!! It is a traditional to have some glutinous rice ball soup during this particular day :D
served with simple chicken stock
Shaped fillings into approx 15gm ballsRecipe adapted from Food & Travel Mag
- 275gm glutinious rice flour + 1-2 tbsp extra if dough is too wet
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 300gm lean minced pork
- thumb-sized young ginger, finely grated
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp shallot oil
- 40gm chinese cabbage, finely choppped
- 1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 800ml chicken stock (make from a cube of stock cube)
- spring onion & shallot oil for garnish
- To make filling : combine minced pork with grated ginger, cabbage and spring onion, mix well. Season with light soy sauce, shallot oil, salt & pepper for at least 30mins. Shape mixture into 30 portions, approx 15gm each.
- To make dough : place glutinious rice flour in a mixing bowl, add in water and stir with a wooden spoon till a soft & smooth dough is formed. Portion dough into 30 round balls (approx 18-20gm) and place on a lightly greased plate.
- To wrap dumpling : lightly greased hand with oil, flatten a piece of dough and wrap with filling, seal and roll into round balls, placed on lightly greased plate.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, drop in wrapped dumpling in batches and stir gently to prevent the dumplings from sticking. Cook till dumplings float onto the surface of the water.
- Scoop into individual bowl and ladle in some chicken stock, garnish with some spring onions. Alternatively serve with some red vinegar and shredded ginger.