Found this recipe while I was browsing through some books while at Kinokuniya :D The pictures in the book looks so appealing as it shows bright red hue! But mine turns out deep maroon hue >.< Initially when mixing the beetroot mixture into the flour, it actually slowly change into red hue (should have taken a pics on that :P). But as the cake is baking in the oven, the red hue slowly disappear....maybe due to the prolong baking time? As the initially recipe yield 16 small cupcakes (10mins baking time) instead of baking in a normal pan which uses 20mins. And the cake is slightly dense due to my overmixing :P It is worth trying out this recipe again as it uses beetroot instead of relying red food colouring to achieve a 'red' colour cake :D Oh the taste?? First smell of the cake can detect the beetroot smell, but while tasting it not really distinctive and definitely goes well with the cream frosting :D
Ingredient (16 mini cupcakes or a 16cm heart shaped pan)
- 100gm self-raising flour
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 50gm sugar
- 1 small beestroot, peeled & coarsely grated (forgotten what is the wgt of the beetroot I've used, but look for the smallest u can find)
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 egg
- 50ml buttermilk (I substitute with milk + vinegar)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (I reduced to 1/2 tsp)
- 100gm cream cheese
- 50gm unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 45gm icing sugar
- Sift flour & cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Stir in sugar. Set aside.
- Put beetroot, oil & egg into a food processor. Blend till smooth. Briefly mix in buttermilk & vinegar.
- Pour beetroot mixture into flour mixture and fold till combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcases and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel 10-12mins. (16cm pan I used 20mins)
- Beat all frosting mixture till light & fluffy.
- Pipe icing on cooled cupcakes.
I would love to share this recipe to Bake Along No. 18 - Red Velvet Cupcakes for Valentine