I've been seeing this root vegetables in the wet market for quite sometime but always give it a miss :) There are claims (not proven) that peanut roots will help in aid of height development, a good source of food for those in puberty. I am doubtful with the claims, to grow tall and healthy, balanced diet with healthy lifestyle and genes all play a part. But kiasu Mummy again...any food that is good for kids will sure try to prepare for them regardless they like it or not :D Thankfully they like the soup a lot! Sweet (I've added dried figs) & nutty (I've added extra dried peanuts) nourishing chicken soup which I think is great for the whole family.
This is how the fresh peanut roots look like, very leafy bunch with lots of soil in between the fresh peanuts.
I've actually rinsed the trimmed roots more than 20 times so as to clear the soil and dirt as much as possible...
- 250gm fresh peanut roots (net wgt after trimming away stems & leaves)
- 1/2 chicken
- 2/3 cup dried peanuts
- 4 large dried figs
- 15 pcs small red dates
- 1 tbsp dried wolfberries, rinsed and soaked briefly in some water
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- salt to taste
- Rinse peanut roots thoroughly till water runs clear. Soak for 30mins and rinse thoroughly again to remove all sandy grits. Bring a pot of water to boil, add in peanut roots and boil for 1 min. Drain away water.
- Place the blanched peanut roots, chicken, dried peanuts, figs, red ages in a deep pot. Add in 8 cups water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 2.5 hours.
- Add in wolfberries, rice wine and salt to taste. Cook for another 5 mins. Turn off heat and ready to serve.