This is a homely Japanese style stew dish which taste sweet and flavourful unlike our Chinese meat stew which tasted more savoury. A wonderful one dish meal packed with protein and fibre, added on another bowl of miso soup makes a complete Japanese inspired meal :D
The bottom right corner is the shirataki made from konnyaku. My girl called this noodle :D Indeed it does looks like noodle but the texture is different. I don't mind slurping down all the shirataki as it is gluten free, high in fibre, very low in carbohydrate and almost zero calories!
- 500gm thinly sliced pork
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 packet of shirataki, rinsed
- 100gm snow peas, deveined
- 500ml water/ dashi stock
Seasoning: mix well
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp mirin
- 1.5 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- In a deep pot, heat oil and add onion. Fry for 1 min.
- Add in sliced pork and stir fry for 1 min or until pork turns pale.
- Pour in seasoning and mix well.
- Add potato, carrot, shirataki and stock until the ingredients are barely submerged. Stir briefly.
- Cover with lid and simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Remove lid and allow mixture to simmer for another 5 mins to evaporate away excess moisture. Adjust taste if necessary.
- Add in snow peas and cook for another min.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)