Potatoes and chicken are just a perfect match for each other! Based on the braised brisket with daikon I've done previously, I substitute the beef and daikon with potatoes and chicken and made some adjustment on the spices and seasoning used. Another hearty braised dish that I'm able to have 2 servings of rice!
- 4 whole chicken leg, chopped
- 400gm mini potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp zhu hou jiang 柱侯酱
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hua tiao jiu
- 1 tsp pepper
- 300ml water
- 2 stalk spring onion, chopped
- cornflour solution for thickening
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Add onion and garlic and sauté till fragrant.
- Add in halved potatoes and stir fry till brown at the edge.
- Add in chicken and stir fry for couple of min till colour change. Add in sauce and mix evenly for 1 min.
- Pour in hot water, cinnamon stick and star anise and bring to boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30mins or until the chicken are tender and sauce reduce to your liking.
- Add in cornflour water to thicken and toss in spring onion and mix evenly.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately with white rice.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker)