I've been wanting to attempt this trick-eye dish for very long time! This whole dish is actually made up with 100% tofu, not a tinge of egg added ^.* Turmeric powder is added to achieve the eggy colour. For a more interesting plating, I've added some red yeast rice powder to a portion of the tofu mixture to create the heart shape tofu omelette :D The taste of the tofu is very distinctive, the natural food colouring powder added did not alter the taste. Not much seasoning is used also, just a pinch of salt & pepper with a dash of sesame oil. A healthy and colourful tofu dish which I would love to prepare often for my family!
firm tofu, tomato, beech mushroom & fresh basil
Natural colouring from red yeast rice powder & turmeric powder
- 2 blocks firm tofu, mashed
- 1 tomato, skin removed & deseeded, chopped
- 100gm beech mushroom
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (mixed with 1/2 tbsp water to form paste)
- optional : 1 tsp red yeast rice powder (mixed with 1/2 tbsp water to form paste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of sesame oil
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan, add in mushroom and fry till fragrant and soften.
- Add in cubed tomato and basil and fry briefly.
- Add in mashed tofu and toss evenly to combine.
- Add in seasoning and turmeric paste and mix till the tofu is evenly coated. Remove from fire and serve immediately.
- Optional : if using red yeast rice powder, remove about 1/3 of the tofu mixture after adding in the seasoning. In another clean heated pan, add in the tofu mixture and stir in red yeast rice paste and mix evenly.