Recipe source : Fong's Kitchen
- Cooked rice (enough for 3)
- 2 slices of cheese + a handful of grated cheese
- 2 tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 zucchini (3/4 cut into thin slices, 1/4 cut into cubes
- 1 eggplant (3/4 cut into thin slices, 1/4 cut into cubes)
- 5 fresh shitake mushroom, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I used canned Heinz)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Prepare the tomato-based sauce: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan. Add chopped onion and garlic. Fry till fragrant. Add in the chopped zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook the vegetables till slightly soften. Add rosemary, tomato sauce and 1 cup water, bring to boil and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- For the sliced zucchini and eggplant: Rub a little cooking oil and a pinch of salt/pepper onto the sliced vegetables to prevent them from turning brown. Heat up a grilling pan till very hot (no need to add oil). Place the sliced zucchini/eggplant on the hot grilled pan to brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Place the cooked rice in a lightly-oiled baking dish. Pour about 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the rice. Place the grilled zucchini and eggplant on top, follow with 2 slices of cheese. Pour in the remaining sauce and sprinkle a handful of grated cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for about 15 minutes till cheese is golden brown. Serve hot.