Cake ready to be cut later this evening!! Simple decoration using candies & toppers....Pistachio & Strawberry Genoese Sponge layer. But the dried strawberry is too heavy and it all sunk to the bottom of the cake after baking.
Tonight I'm preparing simple dishes as my sis-in-law will be coming over to our place to have a small celebration for my son's birthday :)
Tonight's Menu :
1) Oden Style Vegetable Stew - simple but extremely sweet soup!
2) Fried Spaghetti
3) Smoked Tea Chicken
4) Baked Mussels - done by hubby
4) Fruit Konnyaku Jelly
- 1 small daikon
- 2 carrots
- 2 large corn kobs (or 4 small kobs)
- 6 baby yam
- 300gm butternut squash
- 12 Japanese Fish Cake
- 2 liter dashi stock (use 10gm instant dashi powder)
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut all vegetable into 2 cm chunks.
- Bring water to boil. Add mirin, soya sauce & salt.
- Add daikon, carrots & sweet corn and boil for 15mins.
- Add baby yam & butternut and bring to simmer for 45mins. Add fish cake and cook for 5mins. Turn off heat.
Pistachio Genoese Sponge
- 4 eggs
- 100gm sugar
- 75gm melted butter
- 75gm plain flour
- 50gm pistachio (toasted & grounded)
- Using a electric whisk, beat eggs & sugar for 8 mins on high speed till thick batter formed.
- Drizzle in melted butter and sift over flour & pistachio. Fold till mixture combined.
- Pour batter into a lined 8" cake pan. Tap pan on hard surface to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Happy Birthday to your son! Lovely and mouth watering cake and gosh, what an interesting menu! Looks like a lot of birthdays this month!
my girl girl birthday on this month too.I not yet plan what cake i can make for her. Ha! ha! she also 4 years old.
Happy Birthday to your boy! Can you share what brand of fresh cream you used and how to prepare it? I have tried Embryo whipped cream and Bulla pure cream but both are difficult to whisk - separated into solid cream and liquid cream even after whisking with chilled metal bowl in ice bath! Thanks.
i used Redman whipping cream from Phoon Huat which is also good alternative to Topping Pride
thats a lovely cake. I thought you used a special cake pan for to get the shape of the number four. the cake is lovely, well done!
happy 4th birthday to your son =].
can you share the recipe for the cream decorating on the cake? I would like to bake a simple cake with simple cream decorating..
and where can I find dashi powder?
kpswbb...nothing to share on the cream recipe! just buy a pack of non-dairy cream and whisk over a bowl of cold water till stiff peak formed as local weather is warmed. Dashi stock powder are sold at cold storage or ntuc search at the jap section.
Peng, you are so creative, I thought you used a 4 number cake pan! The cake is beautiful, your son must be delightful. Happy Birthday to him.
Jess...hahaha not creative lah, dun one to waste $$ on another cake pan so anyhow cut & paste :p
Peng, sorry more question to ask, as i've absolutely no idea on creams..Do u add sugar to the cream? Do u whisk with electric mixer or hand mix?
kpswbb...non-dairy cream is already sweetened so no need add sugar. You can hand whisk but takes longer time, electric mixer faster.
Post a Comment