Cake ready to be cut later this evening!! Simple decoration using candies & toppers....Pistachio & Strawberry Genoese Sponge layer. But the dried strawberry is too heavy and it all sunk to the bottom of the cake after baking.
Tonight I'm preparing simple dishes as my sis-in-law will be coming over to our place to have a small celebration for my son's birthday :)
Tonight's Menu :
1) Oden Style Vegetable Stew - simple but extremely sweet soup!
2) Fried Spaghetti
3) Smoked Tea Chicken
4) Baked Mussels - done by hubby
4) Fruit Konnyaku Jelly
- 1 small daikon
- 2 carrots
- 2 large corn kobs (or 4 small kobs)
- 6 baby yam
- 300gm butternut squash
- 12 Japanese Fish Cake
- 2 liter dashi stock (use 10gm instant dashi powder)
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut all vegetable into 2 cm chunks.
- Bring water to boil. Add mirin, soya sauce & salt.
- Add daikon, carrots & sweet corn and boil for 15mins.
- Add baby yam & butternut and bring to simmer for 45mins. Add fish cake and cook for 5mins. Turn off heat.
Pistachio Genoese Sponge
- 4 eggs
- 100gm sugar
- 75gm melted butter
- 75gm plain flour
- 50gm pistachio (toasted & grounded)
- Using a electric whisk, beat eggs & sugar for 8 mins on high speed till thick batter formed.
- Drizzle in melted butter and sift over flour & pistachio. Fold till mixture combined.
- Pour batter into a lined 8" cake pan. Tap pan on hard surface to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35-40mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.