This chicken looks like grilled version but is not! It is being smoked under a layer of rice, sugar and oolong leaves mixture. The sugar gives it a caramelised colour and the oolong tea for its fragrance. Rice is added to prevent the mixture from burning...
lined wok with aluminium foil and add in tea leaves, rice & sugar
mixed well and place over rack
place steamed chicken over
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp chinese wine
- 1 large piece aluminium foil
- 3 tbsp uncooked rice
- 3 tbsp oolong tea leaves
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Wash and pat chicken dry. Marinate with spring onion, garlic, salt and soya sauce overnight. Turn the chicken occasionally to let the marinate evenly coat the chicken.
- Remove spring onion and garlic. Heat up steamer and steam on high heat for 45mins.
- Prepare a dry wok. Place over a aluminium foil. Add in rice, sugar and tea leaves and mix evenly. Place the cooked chicken on a wire rack. Cover the lid tightly.
- Turn on medium heat and heat up for 1-2mins until a faint white smoke is visible. Turn down to low heat and continue to smoke for 15-20 mins. Be careful not to oversmoke. If the smoke is black it means the temperature is too high and will cause the chicken to have a bitter and burnt taste.
Note: Do not open the lid immediately after smoking, all else u know....ur kitchen will fill with smoke! hahaha....let it settle down for 10mins before opening the lid..spread the 1 tsp of sesame oil over the chicken. The meat can be shredded thinely for use in salad and sandwich!