Friday, May 8, 2009

Green Tea Ice Cream

Another homemade ice cream!! I just love green tea ^-^... is creamy & taste of green tea is distinctive enough, though a couple of hiccups during the making process! As I did not control the heat properly, the custard starts to curdle during the process! I panic and quickly remove the pan from the stove. The custard is not as smooth due to the curdling, not wanting to dump the whole mass, I continue with the rest of the procedures hoping it will turn out fine -.- "

When folding the custard into the whipped cream, realised the tone of the green not as vibrant as what I wanted! kind of disappointed..I've only added 1.5 tbsp of matcha powder for the 1st batch and I think I've added too much cream causing the green tone to 'fade away'. Nevertheless the end result is satisfactory for me :)


Weather very hot causing the ice cream to melt very fast! This is the 2nd batch which I've added more green tea powder :)

Ingredient
  • 300ml milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 90gm sugar
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 300ml thickened cream
  • 3 tbsp matcha green tea powder
Method
  1. Pour the milk into a saucepan. Bring it to the boil, then remove the pan from the heat, add the green tea powder and leave to infuse for 30 minutes or until cool.
  2. Whisk the egg yolks, caster sugar and cornflour in a bowl until thick and foamy. Warm up green tea milk, then gradually whisk it into the yolk mixture. Pour the combined mixture back into the saucepan.
  3. Cook the mixture over a low heat, stirring it continuously until it approaches boiling point and thickens to the point where the custard will coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let the custard overheat or it may curdle. Take the pan off the heat and continue stirring, making sure to take the spoon right around the bottom edges of the pan.
  4. Pour the custard into a bowl and cover the surface with a clear film to prevent the formation of a skin. Leave to cool, then chill in the fridge for at least 12hrs.
  5. Whisk cream to soft peak. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled custard and pour the mixture into a freezer proof container.
Recipe modified from Elinluv & Passion Baker

3 comments:

chumpman said...

Hi, Peng

Well, here comes green tea ice cream finally. I can't wait to try ice cream and cookies, I'm waiting green tea powder my friend got me from Japan.

I bought green tea flavor Taiwan yakult (that's how people there called this local product) from Taiwan trip last week and also green tea flavor soy milk. This was the part I enjoyed the most from the trip, LOL

Anonymous said...

MAY I KNOW WHAT IS THICKEN CREAM?

Peng said...

Thicken cream also known as double cream, can find at local supermarket.

Related Posts with Thumbnails