This is a dense and moist citrusy cake. Beside adding lemon zests into the batter, it is drenched with lemon-sugar syrup while is still warm making it really moist and lemony. I've omitted the glazing as I wanted it plain and simple. It tasted great with along a cup of hot herbal tea, a great way to relax for a while when the kids are having their noon nap :D
- 180gm plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml plain yogurt
- 200gm castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon zests
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 45ml fresh lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, 150gm sugar, eggs, zest and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift over dry ingredients and fold till well incorporated.
- Lastly add in oil and mix well.
- Pour batter into a lined 8" x 5" pan and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 45-50mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, dissolve remaining 50gm sugar with lemon juice over low heat till sugar is well dissolved. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, cool in pan for 10mins. Remove the cake and place on a rack over a baking pan. While the cake is still warm, slowly pour the lemon-sugar syrup evenly over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool completely before slicing.