Thursday, July 10, 2014

Kumquat Jam Chiffon

What do you do with a half bottle jam left sitting in the fridge after getting sick of eating jam and toast daily? I love homemade jams, but my kids prefer Nutella than fruity jams, even kaya they also don't really fancy! I found this chiffon recipe book   “超Q润威风蛋糕” by a Japanese author 赤堀博美. 

It is a very useful book as she had charted out very clearly on each proportion needed for different sizes of  chiffon pans! So I need not manually re-adjust the proportion if I wanted a smaller serving size :D She also shown various adaption of ingredients used for a basic chiffon recipe. And yes one important note on the recipe that she did not use any cream of tartar when beating the meringues! The trick is to use chilled egg whites to stabilise the volume. I've tried several times omitting cream of tartar and all my chiffons turned out tall and fluffy! Besides adapting this Kumquat Jam Chiffon from her recipe, I also tested out Horlick Chiffon, Milo Chiffon....stay tuned! ^0^

Ordinary looking chiffon cake.....but the flavour is fantastic!


I always tried to restraint myself from over filled the pan :O The height for this kumquat jam chiffon turned out just nice.

I love how the way it looks, standing tall....

and fluffy too! :)

Love the bits of kumquat fruit in the chiffon cake :)


















Ingredient (9" chiffon pan)
  • 80gm egg yolks (4 eggs)
  • 40gm sugar
  • 100ml corn oil
  • 100ml water
  • 150gm kumquat jam (can substitute with other flavour thick and pulpy jam)
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla paste
  • 160gm cake flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 250gm cold egg whites (approx 6-7 eggs)
  • 60gm sugar

Method
  1. Beat yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in oil, water, kumquat jam and vanilla,  stir well to combine.
  2. Sift in flour and salt and fold till smooth batter formed.
  3. In a clean, dry bowl, beat cold egg whites on high speed till bubbly. Beat in sugar gradually until stiffed peak formed.
  4. Scoop 1/3 of the beaten whites into the yolk batter. Mix well.
  5. Pour the batter into the balanced whites and gently fold till well combine.
  6. Pour the mixture into an ungreased 9" tube pan and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 45 mins.
  7. Remove pan from oven and invert onto wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding.


I'm linking this post to  Bake Along #64 : Chiffon Cakes jointly hosted by Joyce of  Kitchen Flavours, Zoe of  Bake for Happy Kids and Lena of Frozen Wings




8 comments:

Rumbling Tummy said...

Ha now you got me interested in the book as well as your chiffon. I am lousy when converting recipes. Thanks for the shout out.

MiMi Bakery House said...

Peng, love the color of this chiffon... chiffon looks extremely soft... 好想要一片哦^^

BakingTray said...

Hi Peng! Your cake looks great! nice and tall and fluffy :D and im sure the flavour is very nice too! can't wait to see your other chiffon cakes :)

QembarDelites said...

Nice! I love the look of your cake a lot! No cracks!

lena said...

looks like you got a very good book there..thx for telling us that..and also regarding the cream of tartar. I can also image the aroma of kumquat in the cake, refreshing too!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Peng,
Your cake looks really fluffy and soft, perfectly baked! Kumquat jam is a delicious flavour for a chiffon cake, and I would definitely enjoy a few slices! Interesting bit about the cream of tartar and cold egg whites! Got to take a look into that book! Thanks for baking along with us!

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Veron! I love your chiffons!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Zoe said...

Hi Peng,

I can see that every slice of your kumquat jam chiffon cake is so springy and soft. I like this recipe because it is great to use leftover jam :D

Zoe

Related Posts with Thumbnails