Friday, September 7, 2012

Kek Lumut Sarawak


Kek Lumut?? What is this? Lumut means 'Algae', does my cake looks like a piece of algae to you? ^.^ It is a popular cake in Sarawak. A very sweet and moist cake. There are quite a few variations for this steamed green cake, I chosen this particular recipe which the author given the best review :) The cake itself is very fragrant, despite cutting down the butter and sugar, it is still very very sweet and oily >.< But I like the moist texture, nestum and green tea flavour of the cake, even my girl took 2 mouthful, now waiting for my boy to test out :)










Recipe adapted (with slight modifications) from HomeKreation
Sarawak Steamed Green Cake
Ingredient (6" square)
  • 100gm butter
  • 100gm sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugee flour
  • 3/4 cup Nestum
  • 1/3 cup Condense Milk
  • 1/3 cup Green Tea (1/3 cup water + 1 tsp green tea powder)
  • 1/2 tsp pandan paste

Method
  1. Cream butter and sugar light and fluffy.
  2. Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined.
  3. Fold in sugee flour and nestum.
  4. Stir in milk, green tea liquid and pandan paste till smooth batter formed.
  5. Pour batter into a lined 6" pan and steam over preheated steamer for 2 hours.
  6. Cool completely before slicing and serve.

I am submitting this dish to Malaysian Food Fest, Sarawak Month hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts(remember to link to MFF and the host)

7 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Delicious algae!

Alice said...

i'm planning to try this interesting cake, got the recipe from Home Kreation too but i'm looking to the 2nd recipe, see how it turns out :)
your green color really is like the green color algae has LOL

Peng said...

Alice...unique taste, btw I tried out the II version :)

Peng said...

Wendy...indeed delicious hehehe at least my gal luv it a lot, lucky got someone to share fats with me lol

Sharon @ Feats of Feasts said...

Hi Peng, dun forget to email me this entry. :)

QembarDelites said...

I am thinking of making this cake too but the amount of butter and sugar is making me hesitate...sure looks good though.

lena said...

i find it a little strange to hv green tea here, nevertheless it sounds like a delicious cake too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails