This is my 2nd time cooking chicken ponteh :) The very first time I done it was cooking with a instant mix. Making from scratch was very simple as this particular recipe does not uses much spices, only large amount of shallots needed to be peel, some garlic and tau cheo paste to bring out the flavour of this dish :P The original recipe uses chicken and pork belly. But I do not fancy pork belly so I replaced with a large chicken :) Taste wonderful with a bowl of rice!
Recipe adapted from Phong Hong Bakes
- 1 large chicken, chopped into pieces
- 5 tbsp oil
- 400gm shallot paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp bean paste, tau cheo
- 10 dried shitake mushroom, softened and trimmed
- 800ml hot water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 60gm palm sugar
- salt to taste (optional)
- Heat oil and saute shallot & garlic paste until fragrant, stirring continuously. Add tau cheo and fry until oil starts to separate.
- Add in mushroom and chicken and stir fry for 3mins.
- Add in water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10mins.
- Add in potatoes and sugar and simmer for another 15mins until gravy is thickened . Best served the next day for flavour to infuse.