Ingredient (4 servings)
- 50gm black sesame paste
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp dark rice vinegar
- 300gm soba noodles
- 400gm extra-firm tofu
- bunch of spring onion, finely chopped
- sesame seeds for garnish
MethodRecipe modified from SeriousEat.com
- Combine black sesame paste, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil & vinegar together and mix evenly. Adjust taste accordingly. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the soba and cook according to the package instructions until tender. Drain, reserving some of the noodle cooking water, and rinse under cold running water.
- While the noodles are cooking, drain the tofu, pat it dry, and cut into matchstick shapes. Season the tofu with a pinch of salt, toss with a small amount of oil, and cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes, tossing every couple minutes, until the pieces are browned on all sides.
- Reserve a heaping tablespoon of the sesame paste, then thin the rest with 100ml of the hot noodle water. In a large mixing bowl, combine the soba, half of the green onions, and the black sesame paste. Toss until well combined. Add the tofu and toss again gently. Serve topped with a tiny dollop of the reserved sesame paste and the remaining green onions.