Thanks to hubby whom got a copy of Nigella Lawson Kitchen back from his overseas trip :D Every recipe comes with a brief & easy reading on her thoughts on everyday life and how the recipes being created....really my idol!! :D The very first recipe I tried from the book is this Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake. A very moist & light chocolate loaf cake with tangy orange taste lingering in the mouth. The loaf crumbs almost melts in the mouth!!
Recipe modified from Nigella Lawson "Recipes from the Heart of the Home"
Ingredient (9" x 5" loaf cake)
- 150gm unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 120gm light brown sugar
- 150gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 25gm good quality cocoa powder (i use valhorna)
- 2 eggs
- 2 orange zests
- juice of 1 medium orange
- Sift flour, cocoa powder & baking soda together. Set aside.
- Using a electric whisk, cream butter, golden syrup & brown sugar until light.
- Add in 1 tbsp flour mixture into creamed butter, beat lightly and add in a egg and continue to beat until mixed. Beat in orange zest.
- Add in a few more tbsp of flour mixture before beating in the other egg. (this is to prevent the mixture from curdling)
- Add in the remaining flour mixture and beat in alternately with the orange juice. (no need high speed, just beat lightly till mixture is combined)
- Pour batter into a lined loaf pan and bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 40-45mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. (some crumbs on it is fine, no need completely clean)
- Cool slightly in pan before unmoulding and leave to cool completely on rack.