Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chocolate Huat Kueh

With balance of 1/2 packet of steamed cake powder, decided to make a chocolate flavour with chips added 'Huat Kueh' :) I read the recipe on the packaging and saw it included eggs and uses milk instead of water, unlike the Green Tea Steamed Cake which is eggless one. The chocolate huat kueh did not split as much as the green tea flavour one, is it because of the egg added or is it that I did not rest the batter which I did previously? But the texture is still soft & fluffy.



Ingredient
  • 250gm steamed cake powder
  • 10gm cocoa powder
  • 1 egg
  • 150ml milk
  • 100gm sugar* (omit this if cake powder already included sugar)
  • chocolate chips
Method
  1. Sift steamed cake powder & cocoa powder.
  2. Using a electric whisk beat milk & egg until frothy.
  3. Add in flour mixture in 3 batches and beat till smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon batter into lined muffin cups until almost full. Dip a knife in some oil. Cross-section the surface of each cup. (this will ensure the steamed cake will split nicely).
  5. Steamed over boiling water for 20mins.

4 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Looks very soft and delicious. I didn't know there is a special flour to make these. I don[t think I can get it here.

Cheah said...

These chocolate ones look nice too.

jessica.lee said...

Hi Peng,

Your blog and your cooking is great!

Can you share with me why the cake flour is steamed before used to make this Huat Kueh ?

How long do I need to steam it ?

I have been trying to make this Huat Kueh but not successful. The texture is not soft at all.

Thanks for sharing.

Peng said...

Hi Jessica, think u misunderstood or I misled u :P, is actually premixed huat kueh flour, the package indicated steamed cake flour :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails