I've have this mooncake making recipe book for many years and I actually missed out this lovely chocolate moooncakes! This year I've also seen more homebakers attempting this baked chocolate mooncakes each with slight variations. I knew this year die die I must try it out since I've started my first batch of traditional baked mooncakes.
The chocolatey flavour was so inviting that I could not wait and tasted one after it cooled down! Yes you need not wait for it to rest a couple of days before savouring unlike the traditional baked mooncakes. I really enjoy eating this chocolate mooncake, very rich chocolate crust encased with lotus paste, walnuts and chocolates chips! If you are a chocolate lover like me, I'm sure you will love this baked chocolate mooncakes too! ^0^
Mini Chocolate Mooncakes without salted egg yolks
Regular size one too....with salted egg yolks!
Recipe source : Y3K Mooncakes by Alan Ooi
Ingredient (10 x 125gm with yolks or approx. 20 x 50gm without yolks)
- 150gm golden syrup
- 80gm butter
- 1/2 tsp alkaline water
- 240gm plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp chocolate paste
- 580gm lotus paste
- 40gm toasted walnuts, chopped
- 30gm dark chocolate chips
- 10 salted egg yolks (pre-soaked in rose wine for at least 30mins, drain well before use)
Glaze (optional) : 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tbsp water
- Combine golden syrup and butter in a saucepan. Dissolve the mixture over low heat. Cool well. Stir in alkaline water and chocolate paste.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Pour in the golden syrup mixture and mix into a smooth dough. Cover and rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- Combine lotus paste, walnuts and chocolate chips and mix evenly. Divide into 10 equal portions approx. 65gm each. Wrap each portion with a salted egg yolk and shape round.
- Divide skin dough into 10 portions, approx. 50gm each. Flatten each dough and wrap in the filling and shape round. Press into mooncake mould and dislodge mooncake on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 15 mins. Remove and cool for 15 mins. Glaze surface and bake for another 10 mins. Cool completely before storing.
Cook-Your-Books #16 @ Kitchen Flavours
This post is linked to the event, Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme: Mooncake hosted by Fion XuanHom's Mom.